Lauren Patterson is founder of Little Swappies – which organizes children’s clothing, book and toy swaps in New York City, and we will be expanding to new locations in 2014. Bring items that your kids no longer wear or use, and take home items that you need. All remaining items are donated to our charity partner. It’s that simple. Visit us at www.littleswappies.com for more information.
1) TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF—DESCRIBE YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR CAREER. WHAT CAUSED YOU TO START YOUR BUSINESS/BLOG/CAREER?
My husband Dave and I live in New York City with our 2 children and our dog. I am a former lawyer. After our daughter was born, I knew that I wanted to do something for my family, but starting Little Swappies happened by accident. I volunteered to organize a kids clothing swap for my mom’s group and loved it so much that I decided to create Little Swappies.
2) SHARE YOUR SECRET TO BALANCING WORK AND FAMILY. IS THERE BALANCE?
There has to be a balance, but it is never going to be a perfect balance. What helps me is the knowledge that what I am doing benefits not only my family but other families in our community as well.
3) SHARE A FUNNY STORY THAT HELPED YOU BECOME A BETTER PARENT AND/OR BETTER AT YOUR JOB.
Patience. I have become a much more patient person since having children. One morning I went into our daughter’s room and found her with her diaper off, sharing it’s contents with her stuffed animal friends in her crib. Sometimes you have to laugh at the absurdities of motherhood.
4) WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE AND/OR GREATEST REWARD IN THE STRUGGLE FOR WORK/LIFE BALANCE?
I had always worked in an office before starting Little Swappies. Learning how to work from home with two children under the age of 2 has been a huge challenge, but you do the best that you can.
5) WHAT IS ONE THING YOU WISH YOU KNEW BEFORE YOU HAD KID(S), NOW THAT YOU ARE A MOTHER?
I wish that I knew how much freedom I had. Once you have children you can still do the same things, they just take a lot more planning.
6) IF YOU COULD GIVE YOUR CHILDREN ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WHAT WOULD IT BE?
There are so many things that I want to teach them, not necessarily one piece of advice. One thing that we want to instill in our children is a sense of empathy, which I think in today’s society is disappearing.
QUICK ANSWER Q’s:
– WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHILDREN’S BOOK? Goodnight Moon probably because it reminds me of my childhood.
– WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE CLASS YOU ENJOYED WITH YOUR CHILD? Music class with Tony Corsano. Our kids love him.
– WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS/FAMILY ON THE WEEKENDS?We love to go to the park weather permitting.
– WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RAINY DAY ESCAPE? Museum of Mathematics.
Author: Kidz Central Station
KidzCentralStation.com is a one stop shop for busy parents to search for, find, compare and enroll in classes and camps and other fun activities for kids in the NYC area. KidzCentralStation.com allows parents to search by location,age, activity type, price and day and time and see available options and enroll.